16 January 2014

More advice??

I would have loved to share with you a malevolent Comment (no, I get remarkably few of those) which tells me that I am 'a nasty old married queen' and suggests that this category abounds in the 'backdoordinariate'. I would have enabled it for your diversion, but it also libels a brother priest. Surely such statements are vitiated by a lack of definition? Possibly also by a circularity of argument? What would that wonderful logician Peter Geach (friend of Wittgenstein, husband of Elizabeth Anscombe) have had to say? I've just heard of his death; cuius animae propitietur Deus. I pray that as a good Catholic he's gone straight to heaven because it would be yet more bad news for the poor souls in Hell to have been joined by that sharp and merciless intellect.

4 comments:

Paul Goings said...

Is Chris Grady still on about all that?

Liam Ronan said...

I am so sorry you have had such a malevolent reply, Father. One often wonders where these venomous wails on the web (and in the public square) have there origin.

For my part, whenever I read (or hear) such naked vitriol I think of the Gadarene demoniac of Mark 5: 1 - 5:

"And they came over unto the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gadarenes.

2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,

3 Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains:

4 Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken in pieces: neither could any man tame him.

5 And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones."

Stout heart, Father! I keep you in my prayers.

Jacobi said...

There’s nothing “back” about the Ordinariate.

I’ve just finished reading a book, (Christmas pressie), about Catholicism in Elizabethan England and after. The tenacity with which a large number of Catholics clung to the Faith, in spite of persistent and vicious persecution, right through to the period of emancipation and Newman, is nothing short of astonishing.

Incidentally, although the Jesuits get a lot of stick these days, their heroism in the face of unspeakable tortures at that time is, I can only say, humbling, since I am at a loss for words.

Mike Cliffson said...

I like backdoorinate, its an unintended backhander , surely?
My village, as was way back when , some front doors were so painted you couldn't open them, friends and family used the back door exclusively.The Front door was for outsiders.